Sunday, October 14, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken over Biscuits

OK this one is a hard one for me.  I am not eating biscuits or flour so I had to remove my serving before adding the bechamel sauce.  I do not recommend this recipe for low carb but for everyone else.... enjoy.   My favorite memory of chicken and biscuits is when my son was little he would ask for "Chicken Gumbo"  that name stuck at our house for years.  Even now that he is a dad himself, every great once is a while he will ask for Chicken Gumbo and it makes me smile.

Ingredients:
Chicken and Vegetables
2 large boneless chicken breasts (the ones I used weighed about 10 ounces each)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 tsp dry thyme leaves
2 cups chicken broth
salt (about 1/2 tsp)
pepper (a dash or so)

Bechamel Sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp salt

PREPARATION

  • Place all the Chicken and Vegetable ingredients EXCEPT peas in your crock pot.. 
  • Cook on high setting for 4 hours or low setting for 6-8 hours
  • Add peas and break apart chicken
  • After cooking time has elapsed
  • Make Bechamel Sauce... Melt butter in skillet or sauce pan on low heat.. Add flour and stir until golden brown.  Add milk and salt.  Stir until sauce becomes thick and almost pasty.  (it will thin when you add it to your crock pot) 
  • Stir Bechamel into your Chicken and Vegetables
  • Serve over fresh baked biscuits









No comments:

Post a Comment